Smith-Ripley House[edit | edit source]Adams.
The red brick structure was built by Philander Smith in 1854 on part of the original five acre parcel that constituted the original settlement of Adams. Additions were added to the rear of the house in 1883 and in 1967.
The house passed through several families, including the Smith, Huntington and Brown families before settling in the Ripley family in 1884. The house remained in the Ripley family for 119 years.
In 2003, Marian Ripley Steele donated the house to the Historical Association of South Jefferson. The society spent the next year renovating the home, and in 2004, opened the Ripley House Museum. The house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2008.