Paddock Block

From Jefferson County NY Wiki

Paddock Block[edit | edit source]

Paddock Block second from right
The Paddock Block was built in 1815 in Watertown. Built by John Paddock to house his Paddock and Smith Dry Goods Store, it carries the distinction of being the first Public Square structure to be built of masonry. Buildings on the square up until that time were built of wood. The building passed to John Paddock's brother Loveland in 1816.


The building was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1849. Loveland Paddock soon after built the Paddock Building in its place. The section of the Paddock Building that was once occupied the site of the Paddock Block is now occupied by a section of the Woolworth Building.




see Also[edit | edit source]

Historic Structures in Watertown

Public Square History