Town of Orleans[edit | edit source]
The Town of Orleans was formed from part of the Town of Brownville in 1821.
Early Settlement[edit | edit source]
(The following excerpt taken from Our County And Its People: A Descriptive Work on Jefferson County, New York; Edited by Edgar C. Emerson, The Boston History Company,1898.)
Orleans was also formed wholly from Brownville in 1831. A part of its territory was annexed to Pamelia in 1829, and the whole of Clayton was taken off in 1833. The town comprised three-fifths of Penet's Square, and was originally settled by squatters, who occupied the land without color of title; which fact becoming generally known, induced other settlement of the same character until the region was well filled with families of the poorer class. This, together with the fact that there was a question as to the validity of the titles from Penet, delayed permanent settlement for several years. In 1817 settlers under approved title began coming in, for the lands were good and sold at reasonable prices. Roderic C. Frazier, Peter Pratt, Dr. Reubin Andrus and Samuel and Daniel Ellis are mentioned among the first permanent settlers. A portion of Wells Island is within this town.
Cities, Villages and Hamlets[edit | edit source]
Stone Mills (hamlet)