Old Watertown Street Names

From Jefferson County NY Wiki
Sp32-146.png


Many street names had to be changed after North Watertown and Juhelville were both annexed into the city of Watertown in 1869.


Note - these all need to be converted to readable tables

  • Current
Name  * Former
Name  * Details  *
  • Alexandria Ave * Lawrence Ave. * Renamed 1948 *
  • Arch Street * Liberty Street * *
  • Arsenal St. * Columbia St * Renamed due to location of the armory (also called "the arsenal) *
  • Black River Pkwy. * City Center Dr. * Runs along path of old railroad tracks *
  • Bellew Ave. * Ash St. *

*
  • Bradley St. * Angel St.

Edmund St. *


*
  • Breen Ave. * Walden Ave.

Lacey Avenue

Hewitt Street *


*
  • Bronson St. * Sewall St. * *
  • Central St. * Hannibal Street * 1844 to 1881 *
  • Coffeen St. * Court St. * Coffeen near old jail was part of Court St. *
  • Coleman Ave * Smith Ave *

*
  • Court St. * Old State Road * Part of western path of State Road to Sackets Harbor *
  • Eddy St. * Duprey St. *

*
  • Emerson Street * Lamon Street * From Mechanic to High streets: "Lamon Alley" before that. Became Emerson St. in 1948 *
  • Emerson Street * Sherman St. * From High to Rutland. This block became Emerson in 1881 *
  • Emmett Street * O'Connell's Alley * From Breen to Bellew *
  • Factory Square * Factory Village * Factory Village was a hamlet annexed by Watertown 1831 *

*
  • Flower Ave. West * Baker St. *

*
  • Flower Ave. East * Munson St. * From Washington to Gotham *
  • Flower Ave. East * Elizabeth St. * From Gotham to Academy *
  • Gotham St. * Jay St. * (First two blocks only) *
  • Hamilton St. N. * Canal Street * *
  • Haney St. * French St. * *
  • High St. * Weaver St. *

*
  • Hycliff Drive N & S. * Prospect Ave. N & S. * Changed in 1948 *
  • Indiana Ave N. * Wilson Avenue * From railroad tracks to Huntington St. "N. Indiana Ave" from State Street to the tracks established in 1898 by the Watertown Land Co. as part of the "State Street Addition" Renaming date of entire street is unclear *
  • Indiana Ave S. * Wilson Street * From State to Academy Street. Renamed in 1900. Academy to the park added in 1910. *
  • [? walkway] * Jackson St. * Between Court and [railroad tracks]. "Restricted to pedestrian traffic - Court St. for 156' Northeasterly - Res. 6/7/1971" BETWEEN GLOBE STORE and LIBERTY PLAZA *
  • Keyes Ave. * Hamilton St. * Ranamed 1865 *
  • Knickerbocker Drive * Hamilton St. S. * Between Gotham Street and Ward Street; 1953 *
  • Lachenauer Drive * Rosewood Drive Michail Drive * Combined and accepted, renamed, 1967 *
  • Massey St. North * Madison St. * Originally known as Madison Square *
  • Main Ave. * Front St. * Top of hill to Main St. West *
  • Main St. West * Railroad St. * From New York Ave. to city limits. *
  • Pleasant St. South * Grant St. *

*
  • Portage St. * Maple St. *

*
  • Pratt St. * Grove St. * 1852-1949 Washington to Sherman. Sold to Samaritam Med. 1981 *
  • Public Square * Washington Place * West side of square only to Washington *

*
  • Rexford Place * Massey Avenue * Changed 1942. It was Taylor Place until 1842 *
  • Sherman St. * Benedict St. * Between Arsenal and Stone; changed in 1832 from Prospect St. to Benedict. Changed to Sherman Street in 1942. *
  • Sherman St. * Trinity Place * Between Stone and Clinton; changed from Benedict St. to Trinity Place in 1888. Changed to Sherman Street in 1942. *
  • Swan Street * Duprey Street * *
  • St. Mary St. * Elm St. * First block only; changed in 1888 *
  • Sunset Ridge * Ridge Road * Renamed 1957 *
  • TenEyck Street * Kirby St. * Between Washington and Holcomb; changed in 1850. *
  • Washington St. * Green Alley * Lower Washington around early Massey settlement. *
  • Winthrop St. * Sterling Place * Section consisting Sterling Mansion/Holy Family School *


Streets that no longer exist


  • Street Name * Location *
  • Anthony St. * The piece that's officially left is from Public Square to JB Wise lot and was "The Archway" of the old Hotel Woodruff. The rest of the street became J.B. Wise Place in 1863. It was Bagg's Lane before it was Anthony St. *
  • Eames Street * Formerly Furnace Road. Westerly off Mill Street. The Eames Vacuum Brake Company was purchased and eventually became NY Air Brake. *
  • Edmund St. *

*
  • Jackman St. * Between Arsenal and Court; abandoned in 1968 *
  • LaFayette St. * Abandoned 1986 *
  • Lepper St. * Ran from Newell Street to Coffeen; renamed N. Meadow St. in 1848. It was Wilson St. before Lepper *
Princeton Street Colorado Ave to and East of Eastern Blvd. Sold 1981
River St. Ran from Arch Street to Mill; renamed Newell St. in 1952
Terminal Place Ran from Mill St. to "The Archway" of the Hotel Woodruff; became J.B. Wise Place (along with Anthony St.), 1963.
Wall St. Ran from Moulton Street to Front Street

See Also[edit | edit source]

Watertown

Watertown Streets

Full Size Online Version of Burleigh Lithograph 1891 Map of Watertown