Town of Lorraine[edit | edit source]
The Town of Lorraine was formed from part of Mexico (in Oswego County) in 1804.
Early Settlement[edit | edit source]
(The following excerpt taken from Our County And Its People: A Descriptive Work on Jefferson County, New York; Edited by Edgar C. Emerson, The Boston History Company,1898.)
Lorraine, originally Malta, but later Atticus, township No. 1, of the Boylston tract, was settled in 1802 by pioneers James McKee and Elijah Fox, the latter a single man. Other early settlers, who came during the following winter were Comfort Stanclitt, Benjamin Gates, John Alger, Seth Cutler and a Mr. Balcom. The first sawmill was built by Mr. Frost, and the first grist mill by Mr. Cutler, both in 1804, and located on Sandy Creek. In 1807 Lorraine had 161 legally qualified voters.