Failing Hotel

From Jefferson County NY Wiki

Failing Hotel[edit | edit source]

The Failing Hotel, one of the first inns built in Jefferson County, was built on the north side of the Court Street Bridge, towards the Village of Juhelville (what is now the corner of Leray and West Main Streets in Watertown) in 1808.

Originally known as the Travellers House, the white, two story structure was built by Samuel Mack, who wanted to erect a public house near the site of the new mills and dams being built near the Court Street Bridge. During the War of 1812 the hotel was used as barracks for soldiers. Warner Failing took ownership in 1831, and greatly expanded the building, which at this time took his name. The hotel was destroyed by fire in 1865. The site of the hotel is now occupied by Hope Presbyterian Church.

See Also[edit | edit source]

Historic Structures in Watertown