Duvillard Mill

From Jefferson County NY Wiki

Duvillard Mill[edit | edit source]

Duvilard mill.jpg
The Duvillard Mill is a four and one-half story limestone, industrial building that sits on the St. Lawrence River in Cape Vincent. The building is noteworthy as the only surviving 19th century industrial structure in Cape Vincent. Much of the original architectural integrity of the building remains intact.

The building was erected in 1856 by Antoine Duvillard and was originally used as a grist mill. Duvillard later sold the building to George Bartlett, who ran a shingle and planing mill. The next owner, George Grant, sold the building to the U.S. Government in 1895, who used the building and the surrounding concrete dock as a fishing station. It remained a fishing station until 1965, when the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation took ownership of the structure for use as a research station and aquarium.

The mill was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.

See Also[edit | edit source]

Stone Buildings

Historic Structures in Jefferson County

==[edit | edit source]