Copley Stone Office Building

From Jefferson County NY Wiki

Copley Stone Office Building[edit | edit source]

Sitting on Route 12 E, the main street in the heart of Chaumont, Jefferson County, New York is this miniature version of a Gothic style castle, long admired for its architecture and craftsmanship. Built of native limestone from Chaumont it was erected in 1872 by Hiram Copley as an office for the Copley lumber and lime business. It was used as an example for buyers, of the style in cutting and finishing of the limestone.

Hiram Copley was the son of Alexander and Lucy Copley. Alexander was born in Denmark, Lewis County and in 1805, he married Lucy Kelsey of Antwerp. Sometime in 1833 they moved to Chaumont and bought 2,562 acres from Vincent LeRay. From William Clark they bought a house, store, saw and grist mill. Their son Hiram was born in Chaumont in 1834. Within a couple of years Alexander had purchased an additional 16,961 acres from Governor Morris. He also engaged in the ship building business and later became a director of the Union Bank.

Hiram his son grew up and graduated from R.P.I. and was married to Mary Enos of Depauville. In 1871 he took over his father's business and properties in Chaumont. They consisted of stone quarries and the operating of several lime kilns. He soon prospered and in 1876 was the Chaumont village president and a founder and director of the Alexandria Bay Steamship Company. In 1891 the property was sold to his sons Allen E. and George W. Copley for $150,000. It became "The Chaumont Lime and Stone Company" when on March 2,1894 they incorporated. On June 1,1896 the name was changed to "The Chaumont Company".

In 1902 this stone office building became the home of the Adams Duford Quarry Company. Today this beautiful stone building is in excellent condition and still being used, and still admired by everyone who sees it.

See Also[edit | edit source]

Stone Buildings

Historic Structures in Jefferson County