Children's Home

From Jefferson County NY Wiki

noframe

Before the establishment of an orphanage, the county's orphans were placed in a wing of the County Farm, among the indigent poor, homeless, and "idiots." The Orphan's Asylum was established in 1859 at the behest of a "Miss Frazier," who moved to adopt all of the orphans from their neglected conditions and berated the city council about the need for a proper orphanage. Almost overnight, the Orphan's Asylum was created on Franklin Street.