Champion School House[edit | edit source]Champion, also the first school built in Jefferson County. It had been presented at the regular village meeting on October 23, 1800. It was to be built of log's near a spring on the road between the homes of Noadiah Hubbard and Daniel Coffeen. It was a structure of 16 feet by 20 feet and Noadiah Hubbard and Daniel Coffeen would act as trustees of the school.
The Masonic lodge # 29, played a big part in erecting a new school house made of stone some where around 1830. This was to be known as the Stone Academy. It grew not only in size but in the reputation of being one of the best schools in Jefferson County. Some of the early teachers were Rev. Mr. Dutton, Mr. Redfield, Lysander Brown, Luther J. Dorwin, Nancy Freeman and Dr. Hough who was the early historian for Jefferson, Lewis, and Saint Lawrence Counties.
The building functioned as a school until the 1950's. It was then bought and moved to the Black River Garden on Route 3, where it stood on display.