Carlton Island

From Jefferson County NY Wiki

Carlton Island (Carleton Island)[edit | edit source]

In 1778 Carlton Island was fortified from Fort Haldimand by the English, and government vessels were built there for use in Lake Ontario.


In 1828 Carleton island was a somewhat booming of civilization with more than a dozen houses at the head of the island, below the bluff where the old Fort Haldimand stood and before there were many houses at the mainland in Cape Vincent.


The British built the HMS Ontario and Limnade in a harbor at North Bay of Carlton Island.