Captain Louis Peugnet House
Captain Louis Peugnet House[edit | edit source]
Captain Louis Peugnet was one of the French exiles who settled in Cape Vincent during the early 19th century. Peugnet built this limestone house, located on Tibbetts Point Road, in 1837. The house was built near the end of the Broadway Historic District, which is a noted site of early French settlement in Jefferson County.
The house was purchased by Virginia Governor Douglas Byrd Wise in 1926, and since that time has been known as Wise Place. The Wise family bought the house to be used as a summer residence on the St. Lawrence River, and continues to be used in that capacity today.
The Peugnet House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.