Buttermilk Flat Schoolhouse No. 22[edit | edit source]Town of Orleans was built in the 1850's. It was one of many one room schoolhouses that dotted rural Orleans during the 19th century. The building is significant because it is the one of two remaining schoolhouses in Orleans sitting on their original site. The interior of the building has also remained unchanged since it was used as a school.
The schoolhouse still stands, although it has remained abandoned since it ceased being a school in the 1930's. The structure was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996.