Watertown, NY[edit | edit source]
- Watertown, NY is located in the Town of Watertown near the Canadian border and the Thousand Islands (approximately 70 miles north of Syracuse) and is the only city in Jefferson County, NY. According to the latest census data Watertown has a population of 25,622. A few interesting facts about the population of Watertown:
- Almost 24% of the population is 18 years old, or younger.
- Just under half (49.5%) of the population is female.
- 83.8% of the population is White. 8.5% of the population is Black, 1.5% Asian, and 1.0% American Indian and Alaska Native.
- [stats here] (external site)
Developed in the early 1800's, and named after the scenic and mighty waterfalls of the Black River, Watertown quickly established itself as a manufacturing center. The hamlets/villages of Juhelville and Huntingtonville were absorbed into the city and it's borders continue to expand.
We have a history of Watertown started here.
A partial list of Watertown's notable 19th and early 20th century buildings.
A listing of Watertown street by street, past and present streets with timelines. Ever wonder what was there before… or since…. or when?
Including the history of Public Square
Mayors, city council members, and politics of Watertown and Jefferson County.
Watertown prides itself in the many schools that residents can send their children to.
Local TV, radio, and other media and their histories.
Disasters and Catastrophes in the North Country.
Crime and punishment in Jefferson County
Listing of restaurants, bars, taverns, and dance clubs.
Revisit the past with a look at old movie theaters and Drive-Ins, as well as a look at what exists today for relaxing fun and enjoyment.
Notable Personalities in Watertown & Jefferson Country, living and dead.
Explanations and modern day equivalents
Local websites categorized by both local and general interest.