These are general guidelines to look for when using written or photographic sources to create pages here on the Jefferson County Wiki. Please also refer to the Mission Statement for further guidelines for editing and creating pages.
- DATE OF WORK * PROTECTED FROM * TERM *
- Created 1-1-78 or after * When work is fixed in tangible medium of expression * Life + 70 years1(or if work of corporate authorship, the shorter of 95 years from publication, or 120 years from creation *
- Published before 1923 * In public domain * None *
- Published from 1923 - 63 * When published with notice3 * 28 years + could be renewed for 47 years, now extended by 20 years for a total renewal of 67 years. If not so renewed, now in public domain *
- Published from 1964 - 77 * When published with notice * 28 years for first term; now automatic extension of 67 years for second term *
- Created before 1-1-78 but not published * 1-1-78, the effective date of the 1976 Act which eliminated common law copyright * Life + 70 years or 12-31-2002, whichever is greater *
- Created before
1-1-78 but published between then and 12-31-2002 * 1-1-78, the effective date of the 1976 Act which eliminated common law copyright * Life + 70 years or 12-31-2047 whichever is greater *
This chart is reproduced with permission from the University of North Carolina website. Please refer to the link below for updates and further information.